Toasted Cheese (was: Book IDs (a longish delurk))

Wed Feb 2 00:06:42 EST 2000

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000 14:46:12 -0500 , McMullin, Elise wrote:

>	I was holding off on my eccentric grilled cheese habits, but I can
>resist no more.   I like to buy club buns (the oblong kind, bulkier than hot
>dog buns but of similar length).  Individual toasting of bun subject to
>whim.  Cheese product being anathema to me, I slice out the old extra sharp
>cheddar.  Then, and this has proved to be cause revulsion in some observers,
>I dust on one or more of the following: curry powder, dried mustard (goes
>very well with melted cheese, try with macaroni & cheese), paprika, garlic
>powder, dried basil flakes, chives.  Recently I've been into a curry,
>garlic, basil combo.
>	There's probably room to work som diced onions or sauteed mushrooms
>into this. Who knows?
>	But wait! There's more.  I also like to throw on a lot of spinach if
>I've got it (fresh, if you microwave it briefly it packs down as if steamed)
>- and I most always throw tomatoes in after toasting and before
>consolidating the creation.  At my college deli I used to rely on an open
>face poppy seed bagel (yum!) toasted and adorned with cheese, bacon and
>tomato, but I am no longer much interested in bacon.  Still, it was tasty.

Now, this sounds delicious.  But it's just too complicated to qualify, don't
you think?  :)  It ought to have some fancy name like Cheese and Veg Delight
or something.  No mere cheese sandwich, this.  (For the record, my children
would never eat it.  One is simply the pickiest eater alive, and the others
are still at the yuck stage when it comes to complicated food.  I figure
eventually they'll either outgrow the stage, or move out and I won't have to
accommodate their eating habits any more.  Some day.)

>Despite the above recipe I don't qualify as a vegetarian, just to clear that
>up.  I always feel so sordid when I disappoint the real vegetarians.

Me too.  My eating habits tend toward the vegetarian, especially at the
moment (I have developed a mild inability to digest meat, blech) but it's
not a philosophy of life or anything.  But oh, steamed spinach sounds SOOOO
good right now....

>	But to return, bagels are certainly a great grilled cheese option,
>but my current experiments would overflow the bagel too much.

My favorite bagel recipe is lightly toasted, thickly spread with cream
cheese and topped with tomatoes (and a light sprinkling of pepper and salt).
This is adapted from Madeleine L'engle's _A Wrinkle in Time_ where they eat
tomato and cream cheese sandwiches--I find that bagels are hardier than
bread when it comes to spreading not-quite-softened cream cheese.

I think there might be one brownie left in the pan upstairs....

I just thought of an on-topic related idea.  In _A Sudden Wild Magic_,
there's that scene where the baby won't eat anything, until they come up
with the idea of making him a jam sandwich.  The ensuing conversation is all
about the different names the men have for this concoction--can't remember
specifically the names, but it got me thinking, as I wrote about brownies,
if there are common dishes that have different names in different parts of
the world.  Or--no, of course there are, I know that, but I mean other than
the well-known ones like chips/fries and biscuits/cookies and so forth.  We
could go on and on about scones, for example--one of the projects in a
linguistics class I took was about regional names for the food item Utahns
call a scone, which is nothing like the ones you have in Britain or in the
rest of the US for that matter.  I wasn't in that group, but I remember the
results were fascinating:  Indian frybread, sopaipillas, etc....

Melissa Proffitt
(starting to salivate)