Book IDs (a longish delurk)

Jacob Proffitt Jacob at Proffitt.com
Tue Feb 1 15:58:30 EST 2000

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000 20:12:30 +0100 (CET), Britta Koch wrote:

>> I have been waiting for _Cryptonomicon_ for about three months now.  And I
>> will buy the book eventually, it it is any good.
>
>I loved it!!!!! It's a bit like Snow Crash in style (loads of
>diversions - great!), but I felt written mostly for computer geeks - at
>least being one helped understanding some jokes (though maybe being
>American helps understanding other ones ...) it took me 4 days to
>finish!

I'll second the plug for Cryptonomicon.  Excellent book.  A bit different
from his other books because all the technology in the book exists in the
real world right now.  Personally, I loved the history in it, and checked
out a biography of Gen. Douglas McArthur just to see if he was really like
that (he was and then some).

>Britta, wanting OrdoEmacs and wondering "why Finux?"

Because Linus Torvalds is Finnish and that makes some of the American spook
agencies nervous.

Jacob Proffitt