OT: Toasted Cheese (was: Book IDs (a longish delurk))

Tue Feb 1 13:31:53 EST 2000

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000 17:35:04 +0000, Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk wrote:

>Melissa:
>
>> It's another night of not wanting to cook dinner.  I'm procrastinating
>> furiously.  (And it's probably going to be the infamous processed cheese
>> food product sandwiches again.  Did you know that, in addition to said item
>> making the best grilled cheese sandwiches, the cheapest bread is also
>> necessary?  This is because the more expensive bread is too dense to let the
>> cheese melt properly before the bread is burned.  But I digress.)
>
>I've not tried grilling cheese sandwiches.  I prefer to grill the cheese
>directly - toast the bread lightly, cover with cheese and put under the grill.
>A good, low melting point cheese is advised - Morrison's, our local supermarket,
>sells a "Vintage English Cheddar" that makes an excellent toasting cheese.

Yum.  So, a spreadable cheese, or one you slice?

>If possible, grill until the cheese starts to blacken - many cheeses boil first,
>unfortunately.  Kraft Cheese Slices blacken nicely, but they tend to develop a
>skin of hardened cheese on top.  This leads to large bubbles that spoil the
>texture of the finished product.

I've noticed this too.  Seems like an unfortunate design flaw, since this
sort of cheese food product should be made to melt smoothly.

>I bought a sandwich toaster not too long ago, but I seldom use it.  It doesn't
>seal the sandwiches well, and the cheese goes all over the place.  Sometime I
>will try grilling two slices of toasted cheese, and then sandwiching them, to
>see if this makes a good "grilled cheese sandwich", but I'd welcome suggestions
>from the experts ;-)

When we make these sandwiches, we use our electric griddle.  Butter two
slices of bread, place a slice of cheese between, flip over when the first
slice of bread is nicely browned.  This way, you toast the bread and melt
the cheese in a single step.  Real butter is essential.  It's also a good
idea to eat them before they get soggy, of course.  The griddle is large
enough to cook eight sandwiches at a time, though it's started breaking down
so the heat doesn't spread evenly across the entire surface.  Of course, you
can do this with any size frying pan or skillet.  I've also used my toaster
oven when I just want one sandwich for myself; it's a little soggier that
way, but still good.  (Jacob is the one who taught me the butter-the-bread
method, but he would drink cream from the jug if he was allowed.)

(Is it true that appliances in the UK and Europe are generally smaller than
those in the US?  This is just something I've noticed here and there, in
watching TV shows.  Like on "As Time Goes By" they have this teeny little
refrigerator that fits under the countertop, but mine is a 21 cubic foot
monster that will easily accommodate eight gallon jugs of milk on the top
shelf.)

Could we possibly go FURTHER off topic?  :)

Melissa Proffitt