Book IDs (a longish delurk)

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Tue Feb 1 12:50:08 EST 2000

> Philip wrote, inter alia, the following....
>
>>So you're probably the only person here who will understand me if I say
>>that I did two years of NatSci and changed to EIST for my final year...
>
> Nope.  I did SPS. And, while I was there I had the pleasure of seeing Diana
> herself presenting a seminar at CCAT (which is now presumably called
> something or other university).

Hey!  A lurker coming out to refute me!  Unfair, I call it!

Welcome to the list.  When were you up (if it's not too embarrassing)?  Before
CCAT became University of East Anglia or whatever it's called now, anyway...  I
was there 1986-1989, FWIW

>>It was traditional to do 8 O-levels in most schools, including mine,
>
> 9 was the norm that I always encountered - although at my school you could
> do as many as 10 and as few as 1

One might add, for those who never experienced the British education system,
that there was also an exam called the CSE, which was an easier alternative to
O-levels, and people who dropped out of O-level courses often did these instead.

>>compulsory subjects were usually English Language, English
>>Literature, Maths and a Language (French at my school)
>
> And RE for anyone at a church school!

Well, I was at a church school, and AFAIK only one person in my year did RE
O-level.

Until a few years ago, RE of some sort was compulsory up to age 16.  Those of us
who didn't do the O-level were given one class a week.  It was timetabled with
French, for some reason - so which group you got for RE was determined by which
French set you were in.  The RE lesson was seldom attended by as many as half
the class, which was a pity IMHO because it was really interesting.

Anyway, the British schooling system was something of a mess.  So the government
of the time overhauled it to achieve the complete mess we have today.  The
latest contribution to the mess, I hear, is that music is no longer going to be
a core subject.  I discovered this giving an acquaintance a lift to a concert -
she was a music teacher at a school where the music department was just her,
part time.  Not ideal, I think...

Philip.

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.