OT: Toasted Cheese (was: Book IDs (a longish delurk))

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Tue Feb 1 12:35:04 EST 2000

Melissa:

> It's another night of not wanting to cook dinner.  I'm procrastinating
> furiously.  (And it's probably going to be the infamous processed cheese
> food product sandwiches again.  Did you know that, in addition to said item
> making the best grilled cheese sandwiches, the cheapest bread is also
> necessary?  This is because the more expensive bread is too dense to let the
> cheese melt properly before the bread is burned.  But I digress.)

I've not tried grilling cheese sandwiches.  I prefer to grill the cheese
directly - toast the bread lightly, cover with cheese and put under the grill.
A good, low melting point cheese is advised - Morrison's, our local supermarket,
sells a "Vintage English Cheddar" that makes an excellent toasting cheese.

If possible, grill until the cheese starts to blacken - many cheeses boil first,
unfortunately.  Kraft Cheese Slices blacken nicely, but they tend to develop a
skin of hardened cheese on top.  This leads to large bubbles that spoil the
texture of the finished product.

I bought a sandwich toaster not too long ago, but I seldom use it.  It doesn't
seal the sandwiches well, and the cheese goes all over the place.  Sometime I
will try grilling two slices of toasted cheese, and then sandwiching them, to
see if this makes a good "grilled cheese sandwich", but I'd welcome suggestions
from the experts ;-)

Philip (definitely overparticipating)

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.