Pronouns and Rider Haggard

alexandra.bolintineanu at utoronto.ca alexandra.bolintineanu at utoronto.ca
Tue Feb 1 12:33:14 EST 2000

Alexandra wrote:
> As a side remark, I must say, I really did like Rider Haggard (except
for
> the painful style).  But oh, it did set my teeth on edge to hear people
> say things like We are waiting for She Who Must Be Obeyed. Reminds me of

And Philip replied:
"Yes!  Yes!  Yes!  I agree 200%!"

:)

"I was amazed that She who Raised the Islands avoided this (or didn't she?
Is my selective filtering blinding me to mistakes in DWJ that I notice in
other authors?)!"

Oh, yes!  DWJ did avoid it--I watched for this nervously the second time
I read Drowned Ammet, and she never slipped into the "To she who" trap.
Game, Set and Match to DWJ.

Alexandra