Book IDs (a longish delurk)

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Tue Feb 1 01:32:58 EST 2000

Abigail wrote:

>Children's authors I love include Paul Biegel, Edward Eager, Michael Ende,
>A.A. Milne, Nicholas Stuart Gray, Norton Juster, Noel Langley, Cynthia
>Voigt, Ruth Elwin(?) Harris, Joan Aiken (especially Arabel and Mortimer!),

Well, with just a little re-arrangement (of authors I don't know , not ones
I dislike), there are many of my favourites in a row here.  I can't
remember anyone else except me mentioning Noel Langley here before. I've
only read _The Land of Green Ginger_, have you read others?  Splendid fun.

>Like Philip, I've never done any
>literary criticism, and I'm rather disconcerted that nearly all the rest of
>you have studied it.  Is it on the curriculum from an early age in the rest
>of the world?

Certainly not here in Ireland!  We just all had to do English every year
from starting school to finishing it, and I'd never even thought about the
distinction between doing criticism or analysis.  Luckily I loved it,
because it was reading and discussing books and poetry.  And, in the good
old tradition, memorizing lots of the poetry - a practice I heartily
endorse.  I actually mildly impressed my daughter the other day by being
able to quote most of a G.M. Hopkins poem which I'd learned 25 years ago.

Perhaps this is the place to share the info. with you all that Margaret
Mahy's _Changeover_ appears to be one of the recommended books for study in
Secondary School here?  Leaving Cert. cycle, I think, which is the last two
years.

>and I'm not sure I'd even heard of Garth Nix -
>and wonder if in some cases it's because they just didn't get published over
>here (Britain), or were published as adult while I was still limited to a
>children's ticket at the library.  I do remember seeing The Perilous Gard in
>an import edition a couple of years ago, but it was expensive (US paperbacks
>often get their prices changed dollar-for-pound in bookshops), so I didn't
>buy it.

Yes, Garth Nix's books seem to be a slightly odd case.  At least from what
I found, all (or most, not sure) of his books are available on Amazon, but
they are not offered on Amazon.uk as imports.  If the recommendation of his
books by listees weren't enough, someone here mentioned his web-site, which
is wonderful.  Wish I could remember who it was, but thanks anyway.

The Perilous Gard is one book I'd say was worth buying pretty much,
however, you have to get it.  I don't think there's been a single
dissenting voice among all who have read it on the list.  (My goodness,
that was brash of me, and I'm sure to be proved wrong.)

>Anyone who liked "The Princess Bride" should read "One for the Morning
>Glory" by John Barnes, published in the US about four years ago.  It's
>delightful, all the more so if you have a love of words - for instance, I
>believe his characters duel one another with the fearsome weapon known as
>the "pismire".  Anyone who's not grinning should run for a dictionary.

Oh, no!  Not more books to put on the to-buy list.  My cluttered house!  My
depleted budget!  Sounds great - thanks for the recommendation.

Hallie
hallieod at indigo.ie