DWJ: languages, German

lpuszcz at uoft02.utoledo.edu lpuszcz at uoft02.utoledo.edu
Fri Dec 29 13:02:45 EST 2000

Bettina wrote, quoting me:

>I *hate* it when characters airily solve
>language problems with a computer or something like that.  But maybe
>that's just residual resentment from the years and years and years I've
>been studying a second language (Spanish) and there is still so much to
>learn.

But it's fun too, isn't it? Language is very much connected to culture, to
so many things "above and beyond" grammar. Like this "Simon says" thing I
asked about on this list: there are so many details, and I think it's very
exciting when you discover new bits.

Absolutely.  The cultural bits are (to me) the most interesting part. I
often thought about going into sociolinguistics because the cultural and
historical influences on language are fascinating. You can find out a lot
of neat things about language through books, but the best way is getting
to live in a place for a while. I spent the morning (work is very slow
today) looking for reasonable study abroad trips in Spain, France or
Germany for this summer--learning a language is so much more fun when
you're immersed, and the neat cultural bits are more up-to-date and
autheentic than the things I've seen in some textbooks.  Speaking of
which, I got a holiday card from the German host family I stayed with this
past summer, and my host mom used the word "die quiz-show" (referring to
"Who Wants to Be a Millionaire," which we watched together all the time).
I was amazed at the number of Englsih words that I heard in German while
there.

Laurie