OT re a suitable computer for my Dad

Susanna E. Leng 98 Susanna.E.Leng.98 at Alum.Dartmouth.ORG
Fri Dec 29 12:23:28 EST 2000

I don't know if you've had many responses to this yet, but
I would suggest an iMac.  I also don't know your budget,
but you can get them under $1000 (US) now, and although I
don't have one, everyone I know who does loves them.  I'm a
programmer, and although I don't like programming on a mac,
I have one at home because I hate PCs.  =)  The good thing
about an iMac is that it's small, easy to set up, and easy
to use.
But make sure you go to a store and try it out before you
buy anything.  Most computer stores have them up and
running on display, so play with it as long as they let you.
Good luck!

-Susanna

PS the one downside to a mac is that there aren't as many
programs for the mac, but if he's not interested in games
or very specific programs, it shouldn't be a problem.

--- You wrote: ---
I wonder if anyone can help me here. My Dad needs to get
online
as my brother now lives in Peru and the post is terrible.
I'm hoping
someone can suggest a suitable system for his age and
ability.
Dad's 81 and he's never used a computer to my knowledge.
However he's an ex maths teacher, he was an RAF navigator
and
he can programme his video! I'm hoping we can find
something in
the sales when I visit him next month, it needs to be
something all
in one box and easy to put together.

I guess it would be best to reply offlist.

Thanks
                                           Ven.

You are trapped in that bright moment where you learned
your doom.