The nature of magic

Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 27 15:02:39 EST 2000

Oh, Elise, what a scrumptious idea.

I've been thinking about what my magic would be like, and it's brought my
attention to Things I Think about Myself that I never thought of before.

I think there would be something a little smug about my magic, but then I'm
in good company with many DWJ protagonists.
I think my magic would have a lot to do with perceiving similarities in
seemingly different things, and finding a way to convince them that they
belong together; or tracing a common thread down to a common ancestor. I
wouldn't be very methodological, most of my magic would be intuitive. And it
would be very sensible and unromantic. I am a packrat, I keep things like
theatre tickets for years for no reason, and then find they come in handy
years later in a way I could not have predicted; and in the same way I
retain little glistenings of ideas and obscure details that appeal to me and
I have a knack for regurgitating them at the right moment - I'm sure my
magic would work like that too. And I think I'd be very good with
understanding certain types of animals, like cats. Less so birds.