Copyright notice (Re: YotG with spoilers)

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Mon Dec 25 02:28:10 EST 2000

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

> With a little more checking, I determined that any UK publication I
> have published later than 1988 has some form of this notice.  Don't
> know about finding it on a US edition though.  Just a few more data
> points, unless someone knows for sure Why This Is.

This is the information I have uncovered:

The British copyright act of 1988 covers, in addition to copyright, a
set of "moral rights". These include the right of attribution (the
true author has the right to be identified as the author, and to stop
anyone else being identified as the author), and the right of
integrity (the author has the right "to object to modifications of the
work such as distortion, mutilation, or other derogatory action in
relation to the work that would be prejudicial to the authors honour
or reputation").
Under the act, most of the moral rights are, like copyright,
automatic, but the right of attribution isn't; an author is required
to publish a notice with the work saying that he or she claims the
right.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."