The Nature of Magic (Was: RE: yotg discussion (spoilers))

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Thu Dec 21 04:57:28 EST 2000

Elise wrote:

>--I'm still yearning to have a conversation about the nature of
>magic.  Isn't that what you both are saying too?  I mean, if we
>can't see their essays -- what would *your* essay be like and how
>would it express your line of thought as a sort of natural
>expression of your particular signature magic?  I'm pretty sure my
>magic would have a lot to do with metaphor, symbol and association.
>It would also be very plain - no lightning - might not look at all
>like magic on the surface - sort of like those undergrad essays I
>was describing earlier, it might be... errr diplomatic.  Ooh please
>someone pick up the ball and run with it....

Can't run (except around in circles, possibly!) with anything at the
moment, but this was too great an idea to leave on the ground.  I
love your description of your magic, Elise, and agree - definitely no
lightning.  I tried thinking about what mine might be, and started
wondering if it might be somewhat like my mothering?  Which (in my
good moments), seems to centre on listening to what's being said, and
what's being felt.  It seemed unlikely for a way of doing magic at
first, but I'm not so sure that it is.  Once you've really understood
the other person's (or thing's in this case) feelings, then you can
help with ways of looking at a problem.  So why not a similar type of
magic?  Just a slight variation on Sophie's talking to kind of magic,
maybe.

This just reminded me of the wonderful moment in Deep Secret where
Rupert has reluctantly to _suggest_ to the plant thing that it go
back to being a bus shelter.

Hallie - who OUGHT to be out getting the presents that still haven't
been bought, and queuing in the post office to mail the things that
have to be posted, and writing the things that will have to be queued
for them to be posted, and...