yotg discussion (Spoilers)

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Wed Dec 20 16:41:23 EST 2000

Yay!  I'm happy!  I can finally join in the conversation!

My copy of YotG arrived on Saturday, in fact, along with "Hexwood".  But
life has been busy and it's taken me till now to read the two of them.  (Now
I'm going to re-read the two of them, YotG because it's great and "Hexwood"
because it's confusing, and is liable to take a couple of readings to get
straight.)

Now I'll do the spoiler space thing, just in case anyone has been even
slower than me about getting the book...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
spoiler space
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Okay, that should do it.

Hm, so, first impressions...I liked it rather better than "Dark Lord of
Derkholm", which is not to say that I *dis*liked DloD, but I did feel that
it read rather as if it were the second book of a series of which I had
accidentally missed the first!  YotG, on the other hand, I suspect would not
give this feeling even to someone who had not read DLoD.

Loved the university setting - very nostalgic - though the characters seem
to take their studies rather more seriously than I did mine! :-)

Loved the protection spells, especially the oranges, and the way Felim kept
turning into a beehive made of books!

Loved Ruskin's attempts at food magic.  And the Emperor staging his coup.
And the hatstand (I know she calls it a cloak rack, but the description
sounds like the hat/coat stand we have in our office).  And Wermacht
becoming a very gloomy-looking barstool.  And the Notebook of Truth.
Especially the bit where they find that half the notes have vanished from
it, because I instantly guessed at that point what it was (big smug
feelings!).

Loved the essays, and Corkoran's feelings about them.  Loved the bit where
Corkoran remembers how he used to be that young and enthusiastic, because
it's sad that he doesn't realise that he went wrong.

And almost what I love most is the way I was reading along and began to
wonder, okay, so this is good stuff, and a lot of fun, but where's the plot?
What is DWJ driving at?  And then towards the end the plot suddenly became
apparent, and the whole book had really been doing plot things, but so
subtly that I didn't notice at first, until everything just came together
wonderfully.

Bad stuff...Wermacht's name drives me nuts, because I want to pronounce it
as the German "Wehrmacht", but that can't be right because of the different
spelling.

Don't like the way Flury arrives so late in the story.  Not too keen on
Lydda's marriage.  The jinx-curing is a bit simplistic.  I'm not at all sure
what Querida thought she was doing, letting Corkoran run the University in
the first place; I'd have thought she'd have more sense.  I'm peeved that
those nasty dwarves got the Notebook.

Okay, now I'm going to go re-read...which one?  YotG or "Hexwood"?  Hm...

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

No, I haven't lost my mind - it's backed up on tape somewhere.