Copyright

Nat Case ncase at hedbergmaps.com
Wed Dec 20 11:26:52 EST 2000

>On Fri, 15 Dec 2000 19:34:21 -0500 (EST), M Elizabeth Parks wrote:
>
>>Inside the front cover, on the page with copyrights and library of
>>congress listings (US edition) there's a note that says "the right of DWJ
>>to be identified as author of this work has been asserted by her."  I
>>checked in several other books, by her and otherwise, and none of them say
>>the same thing.  What does this mean?  It almost sounds to me like she
>>didn't necessarily write it all. . . .
>
>This notice appears inside Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels (UK editions)
>with the additional information "in accordance with sections 77 and 78 of
>the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988".  Today I was reading a
>children's picture book to my kids and inside the front cover is a similar
>notice:  "The moral right of the author/illustrator has been asserted."  It
>is also a British edition.
>
>With a little more checking, I determined that any UK publication I have
>published later than 1988 has some form of this notice.  Don't know about
>finding it on a US edition though.  Just a few more data points, unless
>someone knows for sure Why This Is.

I think this is how it works:

In Canadian copyright (and UK copyright as well, I guess), unlike US
copyright, the author holds not just the right of reproduction, but
also the right not to have his/her work used on behalf of a cause or
as part of another intellectual property the author does not agree
to, even if that use would be considered reinterpretation instead of
reproduction, and so would be protected under "fair use" provisions
of copyright. I'm not sure of how this applies to DWJ, but it's a
distinctive part of Commonwealth (apparently) as opposed to US
copyright law.

Nat Case