Sequels, YotG (Spoliers), Practchett, languages

lpuszcz at uoft02.utoledo.edu lpuszcz at uoft02.utoledo.edu
Wed Dec 20 11:00:13 EST 2000

Lizzie wrote:
        While I was thinking about this, I started thinking about what
other books I'd like to see sequels to: I'd really love to have a book
about what happens to Awful from Archer's Goon.  I always really liked
her, in part because I love the name (I considered changing my name to
Awful at one point, but decided it was just too appropriate), and partly
because she's so great.  But at the end of A'sG Howard realizes he'd
better stick around to make sure Awful turns out okay--I want to know what
happens.

A sequel to AG would be wonderful, and I would also vote for another
sequel to _Howl's Moving Castle_.  The edition of _Castle in the Air_ that
I read claimed it to be a sequel to HMC, and while I can see how it is, it
wasn't the sequel I was expecting.  Sequels are usually a mixed blessing
at best.  Like Judy Abbott in _Daddy Long Legs_, I like to imagine the
future of favorite characters myself, and author's visions of the future
rarle ymatch ,mine.  Their's are usually much better, of course, but it
sometimes feels odd to see characters go in different directions.

As for YotG, I can only agree with what most other people have said: pop
psychology, deus ex machina, too quick ending, but still enjoyable.  I
also have to agree with the perosn who said it sometimes takes a while to
appreciate some of DWJ's books.  This will be one I think I'll appreciate
more later. I thought the university setting was fun, although I
personally can't relate to the profs.  I had wonderful professors in
college, although my degree (in Interdiscplinary Humantiies studies) was
so flexible that I was able to choose my classes by the professor teaching
it, and I had wonderful profs.  I can't recall feeling that I couldn't be
creative, and think my own way.  But it did get me to thinking: maybe my
thinking itself isn't very original or creative, and thus, no objections
from the prof. A startling thought.

I just finished _Lords and Ladies_ last night.  Very enjoyable.  I liked
the Tam Lin and Shakespeare allusions a lot, and I laughed out loud at
certain parts, which I hardly ever do. But I also appreciated the depth to
the book.  There's another funny series, the Stephanie Plum books by
Janet Evanovich, at which I also laugh out loud, but the series is the
literary equivalent of a "popcorn movie." A good popcorn movie, though.
I just got off a Practchett streak, having read _Hogfather_ (very timely)
and _Grim Reaper_.  "Death" is such  an excellent character.

I have to agree with Philp on the language issue, not because I can cite
as many literary examples as he did, but from the perspective of a
langauge major and now teacher.  I *hate* it when characters airily solve
language problems with a computer or something like that.  But maybe
that's just residual resentment from the years and years and years I've
been studying a second language (Spanish) and there is still so much to
learn.  Oh well.

Happy Holidays (whatever holiday you celebrate) to you all, and thanks for
the e-card, sallyo,

Laurie (off to read _The Satanic Mill_, recommended by someone on this
list and newly arrived through interlibrary loan).