Copyright notice (Re: YotG with spoilers)

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Wed Dec 20 05:03:40 EST 2000

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000 19:34:21 -0500 (EST), M Elizabeth Parks wrote:
>Inside the front cover, on the page with copyrights and library of
>congress listings (US edition) there's a note that says "the right of DWJ
>to be identified as author of this work has been asserted by her."  I
>checked in several other books, by her and otherwise, and none of them say
>the same thing.  What does this mean?  It almost sounds to me like she
>didn't necessarily write it all. . . .

This notice appears inside Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels (UK editions)
with the additional information "in accordance with sections 77 and 78 of
the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988".  Today I was reading a
children's picture book to my kids and inside the front cover is a similar
notice:  "The moral right of the author/illustrator has been asserted."  It
is also a British edition.
With a little more checking, I determined that any UK publication I have
published later than 1988 has some form of this notice.  Don't know about
finding it on a US edition though.  Just a few more data points, unless
someone knows for sure Why This Is.
Melissa Proffitt

I was hoping someone with a bit more clue than me would jump in, but no luck
so far. I'm *pretty* sure that this is, as Melissa' obswervation suggests,
part of the UK copyright- ie, in order to benefit from the copyright of a
work, an author needs to *explicitly* assert that they are the author and
have all the rights associated with that. So a little sentence on the back
of the title page keeps everyone happy. It seems rather pointless but there
you go.
Jennifer