yotg discussion spoiler

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Dec 19 20:26:23 EST 2000

Date sent:      	Tue, 19 Dec 2000 17:10:56 -0500
From:           	owner-dwj-digest at suberic.net (dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones))
To:             	dwj-digest at suberic.net
Subject:        	dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #251
Send reply to:  	dwj at suberic.net
Lizzie wrote
> ) (and it's just occured to me that parrots have beaks and they can
> say human phrases).

Some birds do seem to have a much better capacity to make all
kinds of sounds than humans. The episode of David Attenborough's
Birds series about their songs and voices was enlightening on this,
they use a different system to mammals. The programme showed
a lyre bird performing incredible vocal gymnastics flawlessing
reproducing the sounds of cameras, with the whirring of an
automatic wind on, sirens and a compendium of sounds from a
logging camp, which evenb included background noises. So I
guess any bird headed chimera should have no trouble in making
the sounds for human speech. It would however seem likely they
would have their own language using sounds beyond the human
range, Derk's griphons would have surely have problems in not
knowing this.

I'm just imagining how devestating an intelligent creature with a lyre
bird's voice could be in the witness box "yes your honour, this is
what I heard- " followed by a reproduction of defendant's
conversation, complete with television on in background.

I've been wanting to join in with the YOG discussion but my critical
faculties have  gone on strike, I think I need someone to say
something I can violently diagree with <g>.
                                           Ven.