yotg discussion (spoilers)

McMullin, Elise emcmullin at kl.com
Tue Dec 19 19:28:24 EST 2000

Bettina wrote:

"I'll add one last thing. There was a point in the book, where I found
Corkoran
more frightening and depressing that Wermacht, because, as you said Wermacht
was basically afraid, but also stupid and could be dealt with. Corkoran, or
so
I felt, was much further in de-humanizing, seeing other people merely as
means
to his end."

Oh yes - good point, definitely.  While Wermacht was obviously
unsympathetic, Corkoran was one of those people you look up to and who lets
you down.  I felt let down by him myself.

In context of teaching and what a person brings to it, my favorite teachers
have been able to come toward the students in their ideas and efforts to
understand the ideas and concepts the students are articulating, not making
the students slog all the way toward the teacher alone. And that attitude
means that they are interested in the endeavor and treat it seriously - it
means you are cooperating in the endeavor together.  In classes like that a
notebook of truth would be wooonderful because people have already dispensed
with the obstructive concerns of ego.

Er, point, what was the point? Oh yes - someone like Corkoran can't properly
bring people along.  Excellent thought and work can be happening under his
nose and he wouldn't have the sense to attend and properly water, prune,
fertilize and place the minds he is gardening in the proper amount of
sunlight.  Tentative idea about why this happens: to the extent and during
the time someone is wrapped in self-concern they leave a road untraveled,
ignoring a whole learning and decision making process of experience which
has key points like - setting goals that are larger than yourself,
recognizing that you might have abilities and understandings that you take
for granted but that might really be helpful if you shared with others and
generally treating others as you would like to be treated.  Quite an
opportunity cost.  What do you think?

"When he thinks of just using the assasins in experiments, or when
he considers helping the heroes only because he finds out they could help
his
project. This scene made me shiver. When one continues in this way, others
are
no longer seen as subjects, but as objects, (I'm not sure wheter this makes
sense in English, too),"

(yes, sounds perfect)

"...not as fellow human beings, but things, being useful
or not. And this an attitude that frightens me to the bones."

It's like seeing a yawning chasm where one thought there would be solid
ground.  What to do?

What great those Bettina!