yotg discussion (spoilers)

McMullin, Elise emcmullin at kl.com
Tue Dec 19 19:05:40 EST 2000

Lizzie wrote:

"Switching topics: one of my favorite parts of the book is when you realize
that half of Lukin's notes have disappeared from the notebook  of
truth.  ah, academia.  <stares ruefully at the pile of class notes in
front of her>  I really wish I had one of those."

lol!  Be careful what you wish for!  I can recall a few professors who would
have become very upset if I had told them straight and brutal what I
thought, instead of insinuating what I thought delicately into passages that
flattered, by allusion and homage to their lines of reasoning, the prof's
greatness.  Or when we would unwittingly bring the prof's attention to a
fallacy in their reasoning - often a touchy moment.  ;)

Call me a cynic, but I was going in to debt to be there and my scholarship
was based on my grades!  Still, I agree with you - wouldn't it be handy to
have around to help one sort through everything?

I'm glad to be back reading everyone again - what was I thinking to let it
slide so long?  I need a notebook of truth to determine what the really
important things are in life.