Copyright notice (Re: YotG with spoilers)

Tue Dec 19 17:06:57 EST 2000

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000 19:34:21 -0500 (EST), M Elizabeth Parks wrote:

>Inside the front cover, on the page with copyrights and library of
>congress listings (US edition) there's a note that says "the right of DWJ
>to be identified as author of this work has been asserted by her."  I
>checked in several other books, by her and otherwise, and none of them say
>the same thing.  What does this mean?  It almost sounds to me like she
>didn't necessarily write it all. . . .

This notice appears inside Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels (UK editions)
with the additional information "in accordance with sections 77 and 78 of
the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988".  Today I was reading a
children's picture book to my kids and inside the front cover is a similar
notice:  "The moral right of the author/illustrator has been asserted."  It
is also a British edition.

With a little more checking, I determined that any UK publication I have
published later than 1988 has some form of this notice.  Don't know about
finding it on a US edition though.  Just a few more data points, unless
someone knows for sure Why This Is.

Melissa Proffitt