yotg discussion (spoilers)

Irina Rempt ira at rempt.xs4all.nl
Fri Dec 15 04:03:47 EST 2000

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Kyla Tornheim wrote:

> Haha! As I am the one who asked about this, I'll start the discussion. And
> I'll put in lots of spoiler space, so don't worry.

> enough spoiler space?
>
> I'd like to start off by saying that I really *liked* everyone. The six
> students each had such distinctive personalities that it was really easy
> to like them.
> 	I also liked how bits that I'd sort of wanted to know about, and
> people that I'd liked in Dark Lord came back. I like the magic-working
> team of Kit and Blade; I liked seeing a bit of the workings of the Empire
> and how Titus had to deal with stuff.

Yes. Me Too. I'm about halfway through (Querida has just started out
in her pony trap), and though I share some of people's misgivings
about names, there are *lots* of things in it I *really* like; the
way Elda took everyone's anger and used that as power is one of the
best bits. And the orange-scented assassin traps. And the *mice*!
("No, mice is what we've got a plague of").

And the Book of Truth. I said something to my daughter this morning
that I know would stay written in the Book of Truth: "you can keep
reading the kind of books you're reading now for the rest of your
life". She's started on _The Secret Garden_ and the Narnia books
(what she really wanted to read was Harry Potter, but the library has
only one copy that's always checked out; she was clever enough to
find the right librarian to ask what else was "good like that").

It's a pity that most DWJ that even exists in Dutch has been
translated so woefully inadequately; I'd almost do it myself, but if
I had that kind of time I'd want to do _Deep Secret_ and _Dark Lord
of Derkholm_ and YOTG first, and those are hardly books for a
seven-year-old.

I really hate Wermacht (and not just his name); I used to have a
teacher exactly like that. But he's fun to hate :-)

   Irina