yotg discussion (spoilers)

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Wed Dec 13 11:05:07 EST 2000

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

> I'd again like to thank whoever it was that put me on track to realize why I
> don't love these books like I feel I should.  It was probably Kyla.  I don't
Nope. Jennifer. I went back and checked, 'cause I was curious. :^)

> remember.  Anyway, again, great book, but I wanted a different perspective.
> This time it was immediately obvious:  in the section where Corkoran is
> reading their first essays, and we get a summary of each one, the
> tantalizing hints about how magic works or could be made to work just
> grabbed me.  I seriously wanted to read those essays.  Failing that, I
Ooh, me too! I was sitting there saying "Wait! Put in *actual* bits from
Policant's book, not just how he asks the wrong questions to make you
think!" And then, of course, I'd realize that there *wasn't* actually a
book by Policant, and DWJ would have to make it all up. But I still want
to read it, and Claudia's lovely expanding spell essay.
	On that note, I thought it was incredibly interesting how all six
of them wrote what sounded like really neat essays, all inspired by the
same questiony books, but still completely different and unique. And even
their handwriting seemed in character.

> Speaking of my namesake, that was another gem hidden away in the book--the
> part where Melissa starts going on about why she's at the university, and
> you realize, She isn't a caricature.  DWJ doesn't disdain her.  She has some
> real depths to be explored.
I also thought that was really neat. Sure, she's afraid of mice, and
shrieks and gloms onto the nearest male, but she's still a *person*, who's
trying to *do* something. I really liked (was it Olga? Claudia? don't
remember) someone's comment about how Melissa *knows* she's silly and is
trying to do something about it. But it shows that you don't have to be
constantly brave and practical to be a worthwhile person.

Oh, I like Claudia. And I really like the thought of her and
Blade. (Especially because he likes Claudia better than Isodel. Score one
for the non-perennially charming people! :^) And I really really like it
that Elda and Claudia have to *grow up* a bit first; it's not just "hey,
it's the end of the book, let's get everyone paired off!" although the
Isodel-Titus solution is brilliantly tidy.
	Okay, Hallie, I also dislike Love at First Sight, but I think that
it works for Isodel and Titus. I think they're that sort of person. And
the point is probably that everyone's *been* falling in love (or
"love") with Isodel for so long that she was just waiting for it to happen
to her. And they both seem to have that intense sort of personality that
it works for. And no one else seemed to do that, so it wasn't quite so
bad. :^)
	And as for everyone else, I think Click at First Sight is a
concept that works, too. I can see how it would happen. (And it's not
quite first sight for Blade and Claudia, is it? They met each other
before, didn't they? So I think it's "oh, hey, nice person that I've met
before and liked. And now she's older, and hey, she's *cute*!" :^)

> I really wanted to read)?  Sometimes she actually does it:  _Deep Secret_
> springs to mind as an excellent example of at least two books overlapping in
> a single volume.
and it was quite amusing how each of the main characters initially thought
the other one was insufferable. It neatly did away with the biased
perspective problem.