yotg discussion (spoilers)

otheng otheng at kinghenry8.coventry.sch.uk
Wed Dec 13 07:07:21 EST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: <kylie.preisig at police.wa.gov.au>

> I liked the whole university setting.  Uni days were great for me and I
> thought DWJ caputured the whole thing really well.  The group of close
> friends, the dining hall, the budding romances.  Ah, happy memories...
>
> Of course, we didn't have large griffins or mobile coat-racks, but the
> essence was the same :)
>
> I did wonder though if DWJ did the Uni setting as some kind of answer to
the
> Harry Potter books?  It the same kind of feel to it as Harry Potter, I
> thought.  But with those delightful DWJ twists.  Just recently read the
> latest Harry Potter book too, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

I agree that there was a slightly Potterish feel to the whole thing at
times, especially with some of the professors, but the issues were rather
more serious - especially the nature of academic freedom and research, which
I thought she handled very well. The characters were interesting and
varied - but a hint of "Buffy" there too?

I loved the book, though, and am giving several away for Christmas!

Gill