yotg discussion (spoilers)

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Tue Dec 12 08:58:25 EST 2000

Haha! As I am the one who asked about this, I'll start the discussion. And
I'll put in lots of spoiler space, so don't worry.

enough spoiler space?

I'd like to start off by saying that I really *liked* everyone. The six
students each had such distinctive personalities that it was really easy
to like them.
	I also liked how bits that I'd sort of wanted to know about, and
people that I'd liked in Dark Lord came back. I like the magic-working
team of Kit and Blade; I liked seeing a bit of the workings of the Empire
and how Titus had to deal with stuff.
	And for a final "I liked": when I was reading the book for the
second time, I got to the bit where Callette shows up at the university,
and I read Elda's reaction, and said "Yes! That's *exactly* how it is when
my sister shows up and I haven't seen her for a while!" So yay Diana Wynne
Jones for writing sisters well (which I think she always does, doesn't
she? Oh, now that's an interesting question. Now my brain thinks that most
of the children/young people in her books are either only children or
families with only one girl. There's the four girls in TotG; the family in
Spellcoats; more big families in Deep Secret. Right. And Sophie. Okay, so
it's not *that* strong a trend. But Callette and Elda interact
*perfectly* (I mean, for sisters who like each other).).

Xander (taunting the fear demon): Who's the little fear
	demon? Come on, who's the little fear demon?
Giles: Don't taunt the fear demon.
Xander: Why? Can he hurt me?
Giles: No, it's just...tacky.
		--"Fear, Itself," "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"