Red Dwarf film: was more Harry Potter/censorship stuff

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Thu Aug 31 06:15:07 EDT 2000

Is anyone else apprehensive about what will be done with the film? I know
Grant + Naylor will be in charge but the latest series were so polished and
"saleable" they just weren't as funny. Good news about Gilliam doing Good
Omens, though- it may be bad but at least it'll be interesting.
Jennifer

From: Melissa Proffitt [mailto:Melissa at Proffitt.com]

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000 21:57:04 +0100 (BST), Tanaqui wrote:

>+ What's next, electronically remove the British accents so
>+ American children won't get confused?  :)
>
>They usually recast so that they can fix more than the accents. _Red Dwarf_
>had such an archetypal grungy curry-consuming Northern Brit as the human
>protagonist, with a snooty butler-type android, that the plan was to ensure
>Americans were never exposed to this inexplicable comedy in its original
form.

And how relieved I am that they didn't succeed.  At least, we still get
original _Red Dwarf_ here on PBS.