Off-topic: more Harry Potter/censorship stuff

Wed Aug 30 19:18:28 EDT 2000

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000 21:57:04 +0100 (BST), Tanaqui wrote:

>+ What's next, electronically remove the British accents so
>+ American children won't get confused?  :)
>
>They usually recast so that they can fix more than the accents. _Red Dwarf_
>had such an archetypal grungy curry-consuming Northern Brit as the human
>protagonist, with a snooty butler-type android, that the plan was to ensure
>Americans were never exposed to this inexplicable comedy in its original form.

And how relieved I am that they didn't succeed.  At least, we still get
original _Red Dwarf_ here on PBS.

(I used Lister, Rimmer and Kochanski in a short story I wrote about aliens
and crop circles.  Not so anyone else would notice--just for my own
pleasure.  British imports are the best.)

Melissa Proffitt,
ardent consumer of British television, Cadbury's drinking chocolate, and
Diana Wynne Jones novels