Off-topic: more Harry Potter/censorship stuff

Wed Aug 30 16:22:11 EDT 2000

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000 19:22:32 +0100, Dorian E. Gray wrote:

>Paul said...

>> It's not just the name that will differ, from what I read; there will
>> actually be two versions of the film matching the two versions of the
>> book. (For instance, any scene with references to sneakers will be
>> filmed twice, once with the reference changed to trainers.)
>>
>Silly Americans.  Actually, I have a penpal in the States who has asked me
>to send her British-edition Harry Potter books, because she hates the
>Americanisation of the US eds.

I'm planning to order the books from Amazon.uk just as soon as Terry
Pratchett's latest is out too (to save shipping).  I understand some of the
reasoning behind the changes in the books, but really, isn't this taking
things a bit far?  What's next, electronically remove the British accents so
American children won't get confused?  :)

Melissa Proffitt