Conservation of mass by shapeshifters

Mary Ann Dimand amaebi at iwon.com
Wed Aug 30 11:39:53 EDT 2000

I think Melissa *could* have been thinking of Power of Three, in which I
think there's a suggestion of mass-energy conservation. When Hafny morphed
into a full-grown Dorig warrior, he was spread out so thin he could scarcely
speak. And it gets cold nearby when Dorig morph.

I also liked it in Sheri Tepper's Game novels when it was mentioned that
using one's gamesmanly powers took energy, which could be swiped from
civilians. (And of course sorcerers were sort of power batteries.) It wasn't
appealed to much, though, and I'm not sure that use was consistent.

My two farthings on the SF/fantasy distinction: It is of course a taxonomy.
If you're a Platonist, you think that it is about genuine and fundamental
differences extant in the realm of pure ideas-- if it's of any use at all,
of course. If you're a nominalist, like me, you think it's a conceptual
construction which is useful for some set of purposes. Probably a finite
set. And probably one can look at things in another way, so it won't appear
to "fit" properly, and one can't expect general agreement from people in
general. Discussion can clearly be redcreational, though!

BTW: I wondered how others felt about DWJ saying that no one cared about
Halla-- it was Hafny who was the interesting one? I was always uncomfortable
with this casual dismissal....

Mary Ann

voted #1 search engine! http://www.iwon.com why wouldn't you?