Off-topic: more Harry Potter/censorship stuff

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Wed Aug 30 05:57:50 EDT 2000

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, Parks Family wrote:

>   I'm rather annoyed; I just read that the first Harry Potter movie
> will have two different names; just like the book, it'll be The
> Philosopher's Stone in the UK and the Sorcerer's Stone in the US.

It's not just the name that will differ, from what I read; there will
actually be two versions of the film matching the two versions of the
book. (For instance, any scene with references to sneakers will be
filmed twice, once with the reference changed to trainers.)

> Similarly, I was babysitting the other day, and the girl I was with
> decided to watch Sailor Moon, an anime about a young girl who saves
> Japan and the world a lot, translated to English from the original
> Japanese. . . they've just translated some new episodes, so this one
> was new to me, but I knew the basis of the story: it focused on the
> two newest scouts, Neptune and Uranus, who in the original story are
> girlfriends.  Lovers.  In the US version, they're cousins.
>
> Why is this?

In this case, I would guess it's because Sailor Moon is an animated
series, and therefore (in the minds of American executives) a kids'
show. The fact that they have to edit bits out to make it suitable for
viewing by children is entirely irrelevant.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."