Gender equality in the work place

Jacob Proffitt Jacob at Proffitt.com
Tue Aug 29 22:52:40 EDT 2000

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000 02:25:24 +0100 (BST), Tanaqui wrote:

>women choosing careers still earn 65c to
>the man's $ on average (I don't have UK statistics on this).

I'll quibble on this one.  This figure is only even marginally possible if
you take all women and compare to all men.  And even then, it's closer to
85.  Studies that actually compare men to women in similar positions come
closer to 98c to the $--which is a margin of error if anything.

I don't want to defend individual cases of injustice, but so far, in my
experience, those women who gripe that they aren't making as much as the men
around them are women who are less qualified to be where they are.  I know a
number of women who are making as much or more than the men around them and
in those cases, it is because they are qualified to be where they are.

Is there gender inequality in individual instances?  Sure.  But on
aggregate, it's a battle that has been won.  Let's move the battle back down
to individual instances where it belongs.

Jacob