Bujold to Bothari to Witch Hunts

Ven ven at vvcrane.junglelink.co.uk
Tue Aug 29 20:43:25 EDT 2000

Date sent:      	Tue, 29 Aug 2000 19:04:38 -0400
From:           	owner-dwj-digest at suberic.net (dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones))
To:             	dwj-digest at suberic.net
Subject:        	dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #211
Send reply to:  	dwj at suberic.net
Lizzie wrote
>  And yet I cried when Bothari died. . .

LMB does go for the hard moral issues doesn't she? If a person's
background etc elicits your compassion is it right to withdraw it if
that person does a terrible thing? What I tend to feel about Bothari
and his real counterparts is how terrible to be the person who has
done that act. Its true that if you imagine you, or your mother,
brother or child being the victim of a violent and/or sexcrime the
hatred and the fantasies of revenge come bubbling up, but then
imagine how you would feel if it was your own, damaged, child who
had committed the crime. (Self defense is no offence, of course).

There's a worrying climate going around on these issues at the
moment. I have just heard on the news of a woman whose house
was attacked because someone doesn't know the difference
between a paedophile and a paediatrician...............  Seeing the
marchers in Portsmouth the other week and knowing that most
abusers are known to the victim I wondered how many of them
were carrying anger that they had been unable to direct at its
proper targets, in the home.
                                           Ven.