Lois McMaster Bujold: SPOILERS

Parks Family bill-sarah at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 29 17:14:29 EDT 2000

I was in the library the other day, and picked up a few books by Lois
McMaster Bujold. . . I was up until three in the morning reading Cordelia's
Honor, and within forty-eight hours had read everything up through Mirror
Dance--now I have to go to the library again to get the rest (oh, and I
haven't managed to finish Cetaganda. . . it's just not holding me for some
reason).  But I'm really enjoying this.  So, um, thanks.  And now I get to
comment!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ingrid: [Mirror Dance] had me in tears half
> the time, often while feeling like I was going to throw up from the
> sheer intensity  of it

Me:  I think that I've at least teared up once in quite a few of those
books--the part that got to me that surprised me was when Bothari died.  I
was crying, and that was out of character. . . I think I mentioned this
before, but a while ago (through a friend) I got involved with a rape
survivor's support group, just helping out, and honestly, having women kill
the men who made it neccesary for them to survive always struck me as a
great form of therapy.  And yet I cried when Bothari died. . .

> adore them all so much, even the ones no one else seems to like much,
> like Falling Free and Ethan of Athos.

I really liked Ethan of Athos--it didn't make me cry, though.

> Slightly on topic, or not, the reason I started reading DWJ was because
> the friend who recommended Bujold to me raved constantly about how
> marvelous this chap named Chrestomanci was. There aren't many authors
> who I'll buy anything they write and read their stuff over and over and
> over again. DWJ and Bujold are two of the three who fall into that
> group. The other one is Terry Pratchett. I'm not sure what I'm trying to
> say. Er, just trying to contribute.

I was exposed to both Bujold and Pratchett through this list, and I have to
admit that I rather like them both.  So thanks again, list!

btw: another book I could not get through was Pratchett's Maskerade; I don't
like the witch books as much as the other ones.  I think my favorites are
the ones about the guards. . . but I really like Death and I think I'm in
love with the Luggage. . . anybody else want to comment on which Discworld
books they like best?

lizzie :)