Sci Fi/Fantasy

alexandra.bolintineanu at utoronto.ca alexandra.bolintineanu at utoronto.ca
Sun Aug 27 22:48:04 EDT 2000

Thank you, Courtney, for the fascinating link.  I agree, it's quite a
profitable definition.  Having just read Paradise Lost a little while ago,
however, I'd definitely class Milton as a sci/fi writer, the
science involved being theology.  C.S. Lewis has rather a good argument
for that in his Preface to Paradise Lost. (By the way: I'd be really
interested in sci/fi whose science was theology or alchemy, something that
no longer gets compartamentalized under science nowadays.  I think
Pullman's His Dark Materials series is rather like that, and (except for,
to me, some bits of its moral outlook), quite delightfully, too.

Alexandra