Godshatter

Courtney M Eckhardt cme at MIT.EDU
Sun Aug 27 20:48:03 EDT 2000

In message <200008270318.EAA11715 at imbolc.ucc.ie>, Tanaqui writes:
>Ven:
>
>+ > + However as soon as I decided I was using a planet as my setting
>+ > +everything changed and it became undeniably science fiction.
>
>I still can't split stuff into SF and fantasy, so it's not fair to question
>the "planet-setting means it's SF" decision you made (though the high-tech e.g
>.

Just yesterday (synchronicity!) when sorting through 6 months worth of
unsorted Netscape bookmarks, I found an interesting page on science
fiction that I had marked a long time ago "to read later"- and of course
never got around to reading it...

But linked off the main page was a very interesting essay on the
difference between science fiction and mainstream fiction, and a little
between scifi and fantasy.
http://public.logica.com/~stepneys/sf/explode.htm
A quote:
"Delany has proposed (in some of the essays in Starboard Wine [1984]) that
the difference between genres is not content, but what he calls "reading
protocols," the techniques a skilled reader brings to a text to unpack
"meaning" from it."

When using the premise of the essay, I think *all* DWJ is science fiction!
:)

Courtney