Lois McMaster Bujold

Jacob Proffitt Jacob at Proffitt.com
Fri Aug 25 13:43:33 EDT 2000

On Fri, 25 Aug 2000 12:22:26 -0400 (EDT), alexandra.bolintineanu at utoronto.ca
wrote:

>Ah, yes.  I started out with virtuous intentions to follow Melissa's good
>advice and acquire all the books and read them in order.  I got four
>of them from my beloved library (Barrayar, Bordersof Infinity, Cetaganda
>and Komarr) and put them aside.  Then in an idle moment I started reading
>Barrayar, and... well, now I finished them and must go back for more. My
>favourite was, I think, Komarr,*  but maybe just because I read it last.
>The beginning had me in tears of frustration (poor Ekaterin!) and the
>ending had me in tears of laughter (wonderful Ekaterin!). I wonder what
>precisely the addictive ingredient is.  What, by the way, does "space
>opera" mean?
>
>Breathlessly and sleeplessly,

Well, Melissa tried to warn you.  Those warnings aren't given lightly.

Space opera?  It's one of those terms like Fantasy or Science Fiction that
are used often enough, but really hard to nail down to a definition.  Mostly
because nobody bothers to define them before rushing on and using them.  I
take the meaning to be those over-wrought space-oriented fiction books that
span light-years and involve convoluted plots and strong personalities with
much melodrama thrown in for spice.  Bleh.

Jacob