Flaming the Door Into Fire cover (was Re: misc)

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Thu Aug 24 07:26:15 EDT 2000

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, jessie wrote:

> Jennifer Rowland writes:
>
> > A book I ordered finally got here today- Diane Duane's The Door
> > Into Fire- I found the 3rd book of the trilogy ages ago and have
> > since been frantically trying to find the others. I opened the
> > parcel and all I can say is it's a good thing I already know it's
> > going to be good. The cover is a man in armour holding a glowing
> > sword above his head with a naked woman draped at his feet, and
> > all the blurb conforms to that. Bleuurgh. I may have to make it a
> > jacket.
>
> <snerf> oh my.  My copy has a fairly dumb looking man on a fairly
> stolid looking horse, but it's nothing that bad.  That sounds like
> one of the Star Wars posters.  *Who* is the naked woman?  It would
> be much more appropriate to have a naked man...

It's worse than any Star Wars poster I've ever seen. Man in ludicrous
armour holding stupid-looking sword his head. Kneeling in front of
him, a naked blonde woman with one arm around his leg and the other
hand on his shoulder (there's something horribly wrong with the
proportions of her arms). In the background, fire, green smoke, and
skulls on stakes.

Guess which edition of _The Door Into Fire_ I just found at the local
library? I'm the first person to have taken it out since 1993, and
having seen the cover I can't say I'm surprised.

I really wish I had the words to properly describe the suit of armour.
Well, I say suit, but no proper suit of armour would leave the
wearer's arms and legs completely bare even if he does have nice
muscles. And the gauntlets have spikes on them, and the boots have
spikes on them, and the sword has spikes on it; the helmet has spikes
and horns and fangs and wings and eyes.

The naked blonde is definitely a condundrum. For one thing, there's no
blonde women in the book at all.

Since there's only one scene in the book where Herewiss is waving a
slightly blood-stained glowing sword around, my guess is that it's the
climactic scene where Herewiss learns to use the Flame, drawn from an
nth-hand description by entirely the wrong kind of fantasy artist.
This means that the naked blonde chick is probably meant to be one of
the following:
a) a generic naked blonde chick
b) Segnbora
c) Freelorn

I notice, incidentally, that every time (both times) Herewiss stops at
an inn somebody tries to seduce him. I mention this because it's
played up in the blurb and because it's the kind of thing I can easily
imagine the art department paying too much attention to.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."