Many subjects (very long)

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Tue Aug 22 21:48:29 EDT 2000

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Parks Family wrote:

-snip voices in Paul's head-

> Ooh, lucky, you've only got three. . . .

No, I've definitely got more than three; it was just three in that
particular transcript.

> > > We don't have fire hydrants here. :)
>
> I can't resist. . . you don't have fire hydrants?  Where?  Why is
> this?  I mean, we don't have any in my neighborhood, but do you mean
> there as in where you live specifically or there as in general, like
> a whole country or hemisphere or something full of no fire hydrants?
> I know this is very strange but I'm quite curious now.

On reflection, I imagine we have something that serves the function of
fire hydrants, but I've never seen any of those metal things on the
sidewalk that I associate with fire hydrants from watching Sesame
Street in my youth.

I don't know how widespread this lack of fire hydrants is. I'm pretty
sure there's none in my home city (this may or may not have anything
to do with the fact that Kalgoorlie is out in the middle of a desert
and all the water is piped in from the coast), but anywhere else I've
been I might just have been to the wrong parts of town, or not been
paying attention.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."