Tale of Time City (was: Many subjects (very long))

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Tue Aug 22 21:42:04 EDT 2000

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Courtney M Eckhardt wrote:

> In message <000d01c00c94$00c0c3a0$e25a5240 at computer>,
> "Parks Family" writes:

> > > And now I shall insert a SPOILER WARNING.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

> > So. . . the problem with Vivian is that she had loads of those
> > chronons (I think that's what they were called, and I'm too lazy
> > to run upstairs and go dig out the book and look), and the reason
> > she had them was a) she was from history and so had them naturally
> > and b) the guardian from the Tor had wrapped more around her for
> > help. Is this right?  I'm a little fuzzy on this, but I seem to
> > remember that's what happened.  He talks at one point about how he
> > tried to summon help by running back and wrapping time around
> > somebody, and only Vivian showed up. . . so that's why she was
> > such a big problem, because of those extra chronons.
> >Right?
>
> Oh... wow, I never connected Vivian's chronons with the Iron
> Guardian... Have to look at the book again (now that I have one of
> my own again).  If that's the case, then Faber John is responsible
> for them, and they had no right putting her on trial for them at
> all!

I spotted that ages ago; it's one of the reasons I have trouble with
the trial scene. I've never been sure why Faber John didn't say
anything about the chronons.

Did he keep quiet because he knew it'd all come right in the end?[1]
Did he keep quiet because he *hoped* it'd all come right in the end?
Did he keep quiet so that nobody would blame him?
Or did he just not make the connection?

[1] The argument could be made (and has already on this list at least
once, IIRC) that because the trial led to the Sempitern and family
making a stand for common sense, letting it go ahead was a better move
than trying to stop it would have been.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."