Many subjects (very long)

Courtney M Eckhardt cme at MIT.EDU
Tue Aug 22 21:19:46 EDT 2000

In message <000d01c00c94$00c0c3a0$e25a5240 at computer>, "Parks Family" writes:
>> 1. Reading with gloves on is very hard, and it's harder in the snow of a
>> Boston winter
>
>Yeah, Boston!  I go to school in West Mass, and I read at the bus stops in
>the winter months. . . you have to layer gloves, and just take turns wearing
>only the thin ones on one hand so you can a) flip the page and b) use your
>highlighter.

Oh, I've never had the highlighter problem... though I do buy thin
gloves. ;)

>> 2. Reading in the rain dissolves your book (I have not actually tried
>> this exercise in book abuse)
>
>Anyone else read in the shower?

Ack!  The poor book!

>> And now I shall insert a SPOILER WARNING.
>
>So. . . the problem with Vivian is that she had loads of those chronons (I
>think that's what they were called, and I'm too lazy to run upstairs and go
>dig out the book and look), and the reason she had them was a) she was from
>history and so had them naturally and b) the guardian from the Tor had
>wrapped more around her for help.  Is this right?  I'm a little fuzzy on
>this, but I seem to remember that's what happened.  He talks at one point
>about how he tried to summon help by running back and wrapping time around
>somebody, and only Vivian showed up. . . so that's why she was such a big
>problem, because of those extra chronons.
>Right?

Oh... wow, I never connected Vivian's chronons with the Iron Guardian...
Have to look at the book again (now that I have one of my own again).  If
that's the case, then Faber John is responsible for them, and they had no
right putting her on trial for them at all!

Oh, and the line-wrapping worked much better this time. :)

Courtney