Charmed Life Time setting

Rowena Macrae-Gibson rowena.macrae-gibson at brunel.ac.uk
Mon Aug 14 10:41:56 EDT 2000

Yes, I think that Janet is from the late 20th century. From memory, doesn't
she ask Cat who the King is? He replies Charles VII (interesting
alternative history strand there), and she says something like 'what no
Georges?' Cat also has to explain her clothing to her as well, so at least
Janet comes from a time with a more modern design in knickers (!) (Though
as she doesn't mention Queen Elizabeth, she could be from pre 1952,
although I don't think so. Her language seems more modern.)
In Witch Week, Chrestomanci states that his ward (ie Janet) comes from a
very similar world, and we are clearly shown a modern setting in WW.
The 'Dear Replacement' worlds we are shown in CL all seem to be at
different rates of development. As Amaya says, if a world's got a lot of
magic, maybe it doesn't need to develop technology?

Rowena