Middle Ages, Dark Ages and pre-modern "straight" fantasy

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Mon Aug 14 08:48:13 EDT 2000

On Mon, 14 Aug 2000, Anita Graham wrote:

> At 03:14  14-08-00 +0800, Paul Andinach wrote:
>
> > When you say "80 years behind ours", do you mean that the *world*
> > is 80 years behind ours, or only the technology? Because it's
> > fairly clear that the Chrestomanci novels are contemporary.
>
> I haven't seen that. The clothes, in particular, seem to indicate
> something early 20thC, and perhaps the cars, too.
>
> Why do you think they are contemporary? (And I'd better reread
> Charmed Life, I'd guess.)

Ah.

*quick shuffle through own head*

Not sure exactly. I'm pretty sure Janet's from the late twentieth
century, and I consider that indicative, ditto the cast of Witch Week;
but whether there's any definite statements to the effect, I can't
remember offhand.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."