A Tale of Time City

Neil Ward neilward at dircon.co.uk
Sat Aug 12 13:42:20 EDT 2000

I've finally finished ToTC, having been interrupted rather too often.  I
don't want to say too much until I've read through the archives, because I
remember a lengthy discussion, recently, under the heading "Time Lady, My Wife".

I enjoyed this story, but it seemed a little more juvenile in tone than the
other DWJ books I've read.  Perhaps that's because I've read quite a bit of
adult sci-fi and not much adult fantasy and I'm, therefore, more able to
make a distinction in the former genre.

I thought the ending was bizarre.  It read like it had been rounded up
hastily, so that DWJ could shove the final manuscript in the postbox before
the publisher's deadline.  I considered the possibility that the reader was
supposed to be left feeling that there ought to be something on the next
page in order to imply that time has no firm end.  But then decided I was
being too analytical...

Anyway, good job I didn't want to say *much*, eh?

Neil