Harry Potter seguing to magical universities

Tue Aug 8 18:19:02 EDT 2000

On Tue, 08 Aug 2000 16:20:37 -0400, Courtney M Eckhardt wrote:

>These theories of learning seem to constitute a large portion of the
>collective of fantasy ideas that people have been discussing here (in the
>context of possible plagiarism).  Somehow they seem to fit better in a
>semi-midevalist magical society.  It seems to me that all of that and what
>Melissa said contribute some to why universities don't show up much...

And I suppose if the world is far enough into the dark ages, the university
concept really wouldn't exist for that milieu.  (I love that word.)  The
university concept seems tied to the Renaissance-type culture of openness
and curiosity, whereas the medieval culture depends more on the transmitted
knowledge of the ancients.  Teachers in that setup want to pass their
learning to students but don't care about the students doing anything new
with it.

That's just the *perceived* Renaissance and medieval cultures, by the way.
If the reality was different from the perception, that's irrelevant.  That
idea of the medieval era is just another part of the fantasy idea collective
Courtney mentioned.

Melissa Proffitt