dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #204

Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 8 16:13:44 EDT 2000

Anita wrote: "...to assume that
because some of the external details are similar that one author has been
ripped off, or even that JKR "took a little" is going too far."

I did not mean this in a derogatory way, quite the contrary, I was trying to
defend JKR! I think she "borrowed" no less from Dickens, Dahl, Arthurian
legend - even Shakespeare - than from either of the authors I mentioned, and
I believe she was perfectly justified in doing so in the manner she did.
It's all just ingredients taken out of the stew, cooked up in a new way, and
returned to the pot - as Neil Gaiman claims Terry Pratchett once said
(poorly paraphrased).