dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #202

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Sat Aug 5 12:39:47 EDT 2000

On Sat, 5 Aug 2000, Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:

> Paul - I don't know the Ben Hur joke, please repeat it here!

It is said that there was once a family who decided, after much
discussion, to call their new cat Ben. And so Ben he was for a few
months; and then one day 'he' had kittens. After that, the cat was
called Ben Her.

> As for Harry Potter ripping off from whatever authors:
> There's a nice response from Neil Gaiman on one of his major fan
> pages, I'm afraid all my bookmarks have recently been erased but I
> found it doing a cross search on Neil Gaiman and DWJ. He says
> something along the lines of "I never accused JKR of ripping off
> from my books, she isn't the first to write about a boy wizard, but
> then, neither was I" except he puts it in nicer words.

I remember something one of the panellists said at the last SwanCon:
the question "Did JKR rip off Neil?" is perhaps of less significance
than the question "If a Books of Magic film is made now, will clueless
people think Neil ripped off JKR?".

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."