A grievous fault?

Tanaqui tweaver at imbolc.ucc.ie
Fri Aug 4 02:47:23 EDT 2000

Robyn:

+ If the good guys wanted to be disrespectful, they would surely call him
+ Tom Riddle.

I suppose you're right, that "Lord Voldemort" is the full use-name of the
Bad Guy who developed from Tom Riddle. It's not to do with respect - how many
people knew that Voldemort used to be Riddle? And that Voldemort hated his
father's name?

But "Voldemort" crops up as well as "Lord Voldemort". Inconsistent. Now I'm
going to have to go and do a frequency count and see if it's always Harry who
calls him just "Voldemort" (given that most people won't say the Name at all).

It's that I can't see that the title "Lord" is appropriate. If I turned to
the dark tomorrow and made my quivering acolytes call me Lady, the mechanics
of the State are such that no-one else would use the title Lady unless I
actually changed my *name* to that, even if I started wasting folk all over
the UK. You can call yourself anything you like under English Law, as long as
it isn't for purposes of fraud. Many in the Monster Raving Loony Party have
incorporated titles into their names and there's even a Mr. Barclays-Bank-
are-Bastards out there (it's not defamation if it's your name!).

The Magical Civil Service seems to run on the same lines as the Muggle one.
I just can't believe that Dumbledore et alia call Voldemort "Lord". The
Malfoys might be of the First Estate, but Voldemort/the Riddles weren't!
It has to be a Name thing, doesn't it?

A friend mentioned the example of "Lord Foul", but he actually was a Lord:
he trained for the title and joined High Lord Kevin's Council of Lords...

[Slytherin]
+ >Perhaps Harry, although resolutely unambitious, will redeem snake qualities
+ >(though I doubt it).

+ Although I agree with everything else you said in this interesting post,
+ Tanaqui, I have to disagree with the last sentence. Harry is very
+ ambitious, he wants to be a top quidditch player, he wants to win the cup
+ (any cup going), he wants to get good marks.... The sorting hat spotted this.

Competitive is not ambitious. Hermione (who is a definite Type A workaholic)
would be in Slytherin if this were so. No, the Slytherins exhibit the "grievous
fault" of ambition as depicted in _Julius Caesar_ - and grievously shall they
answer it. I suspect without evidence that Harry is a candidate for the House
of Snakes because he can speak Parseltongue, which is established before he
ever gets near the Sorting Hat and is matriculated at Hogwarts. There are
hints about Harry's similarities with Riddle, and not with current Slytherins.

The name "Slytherin" suggests subtlety, insidiousness, subterfuge.

+ If ambition really is what marks the Slytherin, then Harry fits much better
+ than Crabbe and Goyle, who seem more like Hufflepuffs in their dogged
+ loyalty to Malfoy.

I believe Hufflepuffs are good and loyal. C & G are such typical henchmen
that they don't exhibit character at all, let alone any of the qualities of
the Houses.

Tanaqui