JKR (A bit wandering)

Thu Aug 3 14:36:19 EDT 2000

On Thu, 03 Aug 2000 21:14:52 +1000, Robyn Starkey wrote:

>>Perhaps Harry, although resolutely unambitious, will redeem snake qualities
>>(though I doubt it).
>
>Although I agree with everything else you said in this interesting post,
>Tanaqui, I have to disagree with the last sentence. Harry is very
>ambitious, he wants to be a top quidditch player, he wants to win the cup
>(any cup going), he wants to get good marks.... The sorting hat spotted this.
>
>If ambition really is what marks the Slytherin, then Harry fits much better
>than Crabbe and Goyle, who seem more like Hufflepuffs in their dogged
>loyalty to Malfoy.

And he almost was Slytherin, too...now that would have made a complex story,
I think--putting a "good" person in with the "bad" guys, showing each with
similar traits but developing in different directions.  It's funny how
Rowling undermines the story (unwittingly) because though we're told that
Slytherin was a hero, what we see from his namesake group is unrelentingly
negative.

I've enjoyed the Harry Potter books by not trying to read them as more than
they are--straightforward story, very black and white.  I would be reading
much differently if these had been written by DWJ.  If that were the case, I
would assume the style was meant to mislead.  I would have serious doubts
about the neutrality of the Sorting Hat, for one thing.  They're just two
very different writers.

Melissa Proffitt