JKR (A bit wandering)

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Thu Aug 3 10:44:37 EDT 2000

I haven't read Goblet of Fire yet, so I've been keeping out of the
Potter-Rowling debate.  But I will jump in to agree with Tanaqui and answer one
of her questions.

> I doubt Rowling has considered genetics. How *can* the Muggles and the
> Magicals remain so thoroughly separated when Magicals sometimes crop up
> in Muggle families? Does the reverse happen? Why are the two societies
> hellbent (at the diplomatic level) on remaining apart?

Does the reverse happen?  Yes.  The term, as defined in HP2 or 3, is "squib".
Not a very appropriate word, since a squib is a sort of firework, but presumably
since it's almost never used now except in the phrase "damp squib", the magical
community took it over through that route.

Rather less than 2d worth...

Philip.

permission is prohibited.

PowerGen Group does not accept legal responsibility for this message.
PowerGen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

PowerGen UK plc Registered Office: 53 New Broad Street London EC2M 1SL
Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970