Eight Days of Luke & Harry Potter

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Aug 2 18:27:58 EDT 2000

>Jacob said...
>>
>> It is my understanding that Ireland has a corner on the localization
>market
>> for software.  I also understand that quite a lot of high-tech is headed
>> that way due to some interesting tax structures.  It'd sure be nice if I
>> could leverage some of my technical skills into an Ireland relocation.
>
>Jacob, I'm assuming you're in the US.  Yes, there's a major localisation
>market here.  No, you're not liable to find it easy to re-locate to here.
>Why?  Because Ireland has very strict immigration laws, and it is a monster
>pain in the neck to acquire a work permit if you are not an EU citizen.

Hey - let's not tell Jacob all that stuff!  It'd be so great to have
Melissa and Jacob in Ireland.  (LOTS of good bookshops in Dublin, Melissa!)
Although honesty compels me to admit that housing just now is a huge
problem here...  Honestly also compels me to admit that there's a belief
that Dubliners can only talk about house-prices and the hideous mess that
is Dublin traffic.  Said belief surely already disproved by Deirdre, Dorian
and me - and Becca!  (Becca's my daughter, Dorian, also on the list.)

So just think of the good bookshops, you two.  And think how close you'd be
to DWJ turf!  And how much sooner you could get her new books as they come
out...

Hallie.