Eight Days of Luke & Harry Potter

Jacob Proffitt Jacob at Proffitt.com
Wed Aug 2 17:54:58 EDT 2000

On Wed, 2 Aug 2000 21:08:40 +0100, Dorian E. Gray wrote:

>Jacob, I'm assuming you're in the US.  Yes, there's a major localisation
>market here.  No, you're not liable to find it easy to re-locate to here.
>Why?  Because Ireland has very strict immigration laws, and it is a monster
>pain in the neck to acquire a work permit if you are not an EU citizen.  The
>company I work for (which writes satellite control software, btw, and has
>nothing to do with localisation) simply ignores any applications from non-EU
>citizens, because we just can't be having with the the whole work permit
>hassle.  But on the other hand, maybe larger companies (we're >20 employees)
>might be more comfortable with it.

I actually got some offers when I was actively pursuing the issue.  My
skills are rather highly specialized and in demand.  The problem was that I
wouldn't even consider anything less than 30k pounds a year.  None of the
openings I saw for programmers *ever* topped 25k.  Since the US market for
programmers gives a minimum of 36K dollars a year (for a rank beginner but
with credentials like certification or a degree), this just isn't a choice
I'm for making.  (remember that you can pretty much compare the numbers
across the board because of the inverse relationship of the cost of living
to currency conversion).

Jacob